Healthy Restaurant Dining
When dining out, we are faced with many tempting food selections. This post offers straightforward tips for making healthy food choices when ordering a meal in a restaurant.
1. Ask how the food is prepared and take your time when ordering.
2. The more simply something is prepared, the more control you have over what you are eating. Choose plain baked, broiled, grilled, roasted, poached, or steamed food without added sauces or gravy.
4. Avoid foods that are breaded, deep fried, sautéed, scalloped, creamed, in cheese sauce, or prepared with mayonnaise. Ask that the chef to prepare your food with very little butter or oil or none at all.
5. Ask how large the serving size is. If the meal is large, ask that half of it arrive on your plate and the other half be given to you in a take-out bag to go. This way you can stretch the meal into two meals.
6. Ask that bread not be served or if a bread basket is brought to the table, take one piece and then have your server take the rest of the bread away.
7. Order an appetizer and a small salad instead of an entrée or share an entrée with your dining companion.
8. Be selective at salad bars. Choose fresh greens, raw vegetables, fresh fruits, and low fat or fat free salad dressings. Avoid salads prepared with mayonnaise.
9. Order healthy side dishes such as vegetables or a baked potato.
10. Skip dessert, share a dessert, or order fruit (even if you don’t see it listed on the menu) for dessert.
11. Limit yourself to one or two alcoholic beverages.
12. Ask for fat-free or 1% milk so you can add it to your coffee instead of cream or half-and-half.
14. You can always try virtual reality dining, an experiment in its early stages which includes virtual reality headsets, along with food aromas, to make users think that they are enjoying a range of delicious foods such as lasagne and steak.
Please leave a comment or question. What is your greatest challenge when dining out? What type of ethnic restaurants do you prefer? What future food related topics would you like to read more about in future posts?